Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Book Meme

MeTyme tagged me a few days ago. I've never done one of these before but here goes.

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 (or more) pages.

I'm Proud of You, my friendship with Fred Rogers by Tim Madigan

2. Open the book to page 123 and find the 5th sentence.

By then it was clear how priceless such mementos of my brother would soon become.

3. Post the next 3 sentences.

The previous spring, Steve had made it through the hockey season as coach of Timmy's team, but only through a fierce act of will. He fought hoarseness and terrible chest pain at every game and practice. In late March he found blood in his stool.

4. Tag 5 people.

I'll leave it to you to tag yourself if you want to participate.


The Compadre borrowed this book from Eric's Mom a long time ago. We need to return it and the Compadre insists that I read it first because it's such a good book. So it sits on the table by my chair and I feel guilty that I haven't read it and returned it. (I'll send it soon, I promise!) Mr. Rogers birthday is on March 20, he would have been 80 years old. There is a movement on to wear a sweater in his honor - I'll read the book too. But I know I'm going to cry. It's not a book about him - it's a book about his friendship with the author and how much it meant to him. And when I'm on my way east to see Amy, Abigail and Eric I'll be wearing a sweater! Yes the Compadre will be holding down the fort again. My sister, my nephew and I are going to spend "spring break" at a condo in Delaware and Amy and Abigail are joining us. Baby holding time!!! (The Compadre doesn't have enough vacation time to join us - the hazards of changing jobs).

2 comments:

Compadre said...

Warning. This book will make you cry. Tim's relationship with his distant dad made me think more sympathetically of my dad. The episode with Tim's brother Steve made me think of the Lunch Lady's dad, who died last spring.

Even though the book isn't directly about Fred Rogers, it paints a portrait of an admirable human being, and I recommend it for that. And for the insights into relationships and dying.

Miss T said...

I'm going to cry just reading the Compadre's description of the book!