Friday, January 4, 2008

My Recipe Collection

Miss T reminded me that Ann and Kay of Mason Dixon Knitting are having a contest. While I can't compete with the sheer volume of recipes that Miss T has, I do have a lot and I'll show you.

First we have the bookcase at the top of the steps that crammed full of my recipe books. Note the ones stacked up to the ceiling on the top! Oh, the unknown potential for fabulous meals. I've used many of them and have my favorites but most are untried. Once in a fit of misplaced guilt over how many cookbooks I had, I sold some of them at a garage sale!! I've regretted it ever since. If you look carefully, on the very top left is the 3 ring binder with the recipes that I took off the backs of the cupboard doors when we remodeled our kitchen. Those are the most precious of my recipes.



Then we have the pile of unorganized recipes. Some are in a box - lots of good stuff here too. I've been meaning to organize this. I've got the mimeographed copies of the recipes that Aunt Ann used in her home ec classes in this box. Now, that's good eating!


And last but not least are my two recipe boxes. I asked my husband one year long ago for a big recipe box. He went to the store and got me the top one. It's a recipe box for big recipes. Hee, hee. I do have some of those but I needed a BIG recipe box. Ann came through and gave me the one on the bottom. Both are full. I have many recipes that friends gave me in those boxes. It's like reading family history to go through them. Memories of meals eaten together with friends, potlucks, desserts brought to special occasions. Mmmmm. So the recipe I'll share from the bottom box is from our friend Ted. We make this fudge every Christmas - it's a family tradition. In fact as far as family history goes, this is the fudge that I passed to my sorority sisters when my future husband and I announced our engagement. Thanks Ted!



Ted’s Fudge

Combine and set aside:

18 oz. choc. Chips

1 sq. baking choc. (1 oz.)

½ lb. butter

½ c. chopped walnuts

1 tsp. vanilla

Grease large cookie sheet or 2 13 x 9 pans

Combine in a large kettle and bring to a rolling boil:

1 can evaporated milk

4 1/2 cups sugar

Boil for 9 minutes while stirring constantly. Then add dry ingredients and stir until completely mixed. Pour immediately into cookie sheet. Makes 5-6 lbs of fudge.

1 comment:

Miss T said...

Wow, I love your bookshelf! Looks like a fabulous collection--I spy a thick book with a handwritten title on the spine (a family cookbook?) that looks very intriguing. And you seem to share my fondness for what I call "church cookbooks." Great!